Embedding The BFSO in the everyday practices of individuals within organisations
Taking The BFSO represents a personal commitment to a framework based on ethical values and principles, acknowledging the importance of trust and integrity in banking and finance. Some people need to do more than just read the words of The BFSO to understand the values and actions it represents. Following are suggestions to assist individuals embed the the principles of The BFSO in their professional lives.
Education Materials and Public Acknowledgment
- The ‘Ethics in Practice for Banking and Finance’ booklets can be made available to all staff. These booklets provide a practical guide for ethics in the workplace including a good decision-making model.
- Staff should be encouraged to display The BFSO Signatory Badge on their email signature, speaker bios and staff profiles.
- BFSO Cards (business card size) can be made available for individuals to promote their Signatory status in meetings and at industry events.
- The BFSO Certificate can be framed and promoted within an individual’s workspace.
- Leaders, both within teams and at senior levels, including the CEO, should take (and make) opportunities to speak openly about their commitment to The BFSO and encourage others to become signatories and live by the principles.
- Formal acknowledgement of Signatories is recommended through a firm-sponsored ceremony that can serve to acknowledge staff and promote commitment to ethics.
- Internal communications should include reference to The BFSO (note The BFSO can supply articles and quotes).
Day-to-Day Business Activities
- The principles of The BFSO can be used to guide discussions at team meetings.
- The BFSO and ethics can be a permanent agenda item at meetings, including at the Board level.
- The BFSO can address teams and provide tailored training sessions and events.